Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tuesday - Food!

I love food, some people eat to live, I (somewhat unfortunately) live to eat. I love the Food Network and I really enjoy trying to cook - as tends to happen though my recipes/experiments tend to not come out as planned.

One thing that I usually have success with is simple Italian tomato sauce. Sauce (or gravy as my guindaloon friends back home would probably call what I make) is not hard at all, but I take a lot of pride in making it. This basic recipe is really simple and it was given to me by a great, straight from Italy friend that I knew from when he was a contractor at the ANG base I worked at. Fernando took great pride in explaining to me how to make his sauce, and with his thick Italian accent I was sure I wanted to try it his way. I don't always follow his specific method, but I basically do as he said. Here is the recipe as I follow it, and I should say, I don't measure things:

• Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Red pepper flakes
• .5 medium yellow onion diced (or up to a whole onion depending on your likes)
• Minced garlic (1 tbsp of the jarred stuff or 2-3 cloves fresh)
• 2-3 cans of GOOD TOMATOES (by this I mean the imported stuff – like Cento, whole peeled tomatoes or crushed)
• Sausage/meatballs (optional – I prefer mild turkey sausage, a little healthier than regular)
• Salt and pepper (to taste)
• Sugar (optional)
• Fresh basil

I made this yesterday (Monday Feb. 1) and while it was just starting to simmer we lost electricity – so I moved it to the grill out back and let it continue cooking that way…it was still great!


I start with pouring the olive oil around the pot 3 or 4 times (I use a 4 or 5 qt. dutch oven) – this should be about 3 tbsp. of olive oil (maybe a little more). With the heat on medium, I put a handful of red pepper flakes in the oil while I chop the onion. Put the diced onion in the pot when the oil is heated, about 2 or 3 minutes. Let the onion cook until soft – probably close to 8 minutes or so, then put in the minced garlic. I then add a healthy pinch of salt and let all of that cook for a couple more minutes.

Put the canned tomatoes (I prefer the whole peeled kind, but crushed will do – but it is important to buy good stuff!). Let that cook until it’s bubbling (NOT BOILING). If using whole peeled tomatoes, crush the tomatoes at this point – be careful, they are full of liquid and will spit out if you get too ambitious! Add some pepper and the meat if you’re using it (if you add meat then technically this is a “gravy” and not simply a sauce – semantics) and lower the heat to medium low and let simmer for at least 2 hours – I tend to go 3 or 4 hours though. In the last hour or so, you can pull the sausage and slice it and put it back in or leave it whole. Also, add as much fresh basil (chopped) as you like. I don’t think you can add too much.

Here is a variation that Fernando offered (but I usually don’t do this because of time – so if you do this, start this sauce early): he would then turn the sauce off (after the few hours of cooking) taste it, season it (add salt, pepper, sugar if too acidic) and leave it off to come back to room temp. or fairly close. He essentially cooled it all the way down, then would turn the heat back on and recook it for another hour or so. He claimed this helped the flavors to fully mix. Sort of when you eat leftovers the next day and the flavors get more time to meld – the few times I’ve done this, the sauce has always tasted great – BUT, the sauce always tastes great anyway…so to avoid the time hassle, I rarely do this.
Boil up your spaghetti or whatever pasta you plan on eating it with, and when it’s al dente (firm but thoroughly cooked) serve with the sauce over it. It is especially good with grated parmesan melted over it! Delicious!!!

If you try it, let me know what you think or if you have any great recipes you like to share, let me know – I’m always looking for ideas and good meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment